+359 898387737or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Show on map
Published on 2017-10-26
Published on 2017-10-17
Published on 2017-10-17
Church "St. Georgi Pobedonosets "
The Revival church "St. Georgi Pobedonosets "is located in the central part of the Giurgiu district of Sapareva Banya.
The ancient church was built in the period 1839-1840, making it the first Revival temple in the historical-geographic area of Gorno Pole. Traditionally, it has been erected in the place of an old quarter. Its master builder is Tzvetko from the village of Zhablyano, Radomir, which is understood by an inscription on the pediment on the western side of the temple: "1840 the world-wide Georgian man, Master Tsvetko of Jabbler, Radomir kaasa."
There is an interesting detail around the building of the church. It was built with materials (stones and trees), which were originally designed for the construction of a temple in the village of Banya (today Sapareva Banya), to the old church "St. Nicholas ". But since this place was inhabited by Turkish houses, then the local (Turkish) government resisted the desire of the Bulgarian population to have an active Christian temple in the village. Instead, the Turks allowed the temple to be built in the neighboring village of Matsukurovo (Giurgiu), and for this purpose they used the influence of the wealthy gurgeian chorbadji Marinko and Damian. There was a fierce disagreement between the Macekurev and Banchan, but ultimately prevailed over the will of the rulers. Banya acquired its own temple only in 1859, when Bancheni built the church "St. Forty martyrs "on an old cornice bearing the same name.
It is not known who was the first priest of the church of St. Gregory "St. Georgi "but the following clergymen who served during the years in the temple: Stoyan Pop Mihaylov, Hristo Aleksov, Georgi Terziev, Kostadin Lazarov, Nikola Pop Petrov, Petar Hristov, Michal Hr. Kolarov, Hristo Mladjov (brother of the resurrector of the Saparevoban monastery Teodosii Mlajov), Georgi Pop Stoyanov (1934-1990 / 1), Ivan Velyov (1991-1995), Dimitar Nedyalkov (present, since 1995).
Architecture and Art:
Architecturally, the church is a three-nave basilica with an open narthex from the west and an apse built into the eastern wall whose volume is not visible from the outside. The building is half-dug in the ground, according to the requirements of the Ottoman rule - the Christian temple is not higher than the Muslim fist, riding a horse. The building is massive, with stones, bonded with mortar. The entire facade is plastered, and the roof is doubled, covered with tiles. The church has two entrances - from the west (the main one) and the south side.
Inside and three ships are carved with wooden paneling, and the coils that separate the central from the side ships are wooden. On the west side of the naos there is a wooden balcony (emporium) which served as a female ward and a place for the church choir.
A magnificent wood-carved iconostasis shines inside the temple, which is one of the first works of the local carver Kote Gujian (1820-1910). The altar icons in it are distinguished by exquisite shape and good color. Among them is the icon of St. St. Peter and Paul, dated to 1839
All the walls in the naos and the eastern wall in the narthex are painted. The murals were painted in 1883 by the painter Milos Yakovlev, a native of the great Bulgarian village of Galicnik (River District, Western Macedonia). He is the representative of the great iconographic genre Minovi, the Debar Art School. The same painter is also the author of the frescoes in two churches devoted to Sts. Nikola - in the village of Cherven breg and Topolnitsa village, Dupnitsa.
Even with the entrance to the temple, the visitor's attention is borne out by the frescoes in the open narthex, which include an image of St. Georgi, killing the lamella (in the patron niche above the door), the complex composition "The Wonder Court" (to the left of the entrance) and nine scenes from the saint's life. Below these scenes, according to the canon, compositions are depicted in the folkloric stories: "wrong denomination," "the witch," "thieves and goats," etc. No less expressive and original are the frescoes in the naos.
Years ago, on the recommendation of the National Institute of Cultural Monuments and under the guidance of Prof. Grigor Grigorov, the restoration and conservation of the murals began.
For more information, questions, inquiries and contact us: +359898387737-Mariyana Mutafchijska, e-mail: email@example.com